Explore the archive of exhibitions
DID YOU KNOW?
The City Gallery of Bratislava has published new guides in Slovak and English languages to the permanent exhibitions of the 19th and 20th century art.
Mirbach Palace belongs to the best preserved original architecture of old Pressburg. It is a crown jewel of Rococo architecture built on site of old buildings that had been mentioned in 1459 as CURIA CIVITATIS or WEITE HOF. In the second half of the 16th century, it was a wooden building where, as records say, the evangelical worship services were held in 1666 (The Evangelical Church of Augsburg Confession has been the co-owner of adjacent buildings up to now). The building had several owners: the Illésházy family (1636), the city and a rich brewer, Michael Spech. It was him who had the old building torn down and built a splendid palace, as we know it today, on its site in 1768 – 1770. The architect is unidentified, but we can assume that he worked in Vienna. We only know the name of a builder – Matthaeus Höllrigl. After the construction was completed, Spech sold the palace.
According to the records, the first owner of the palace was count Imre Csáky (1781–1813), and by the early 20th century, the palace had other five owners. Between 1908 and 1916, the palace was in possession of count Koloman Nyáry whose beautiful coat of arms decorates the tympanum in the upper central part of the facade. The last owner of the palace was count Dr. Emil Mirbach. After the historical turbulences – the breakup of Austro-Hungarian Empire, establishment of the Czechoslovak Republic, the period of the Slovak Republic during WWII and subsequent reestablishment of the Czechoslovak Republic – the palace became the property of the city of Bratislava in May 1948. In 1975, the palace became a seat of the City Gallery of Bratislava.
How to Find US?
Františkánske nám. 11
815 35, Bratislava
view a map
Open daily except Mondays, 11.00–18.00Tel.: +421 2 5465 5454